The Best FIFA Football Awards 2019 Live”Virgil van Dijk is among those expected to take home a prize from the 2019 Best FIFA Football awards, once the ceremony takes place inside the Teatro all Scalal Opera house in Milan, Italy on Monday.
Liverpool centre-back Van Dijk will be the favourite, despite the presence of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. The latter finds himself nominated in two categories, with his superb chip for Barcelona against Real Betis back in March a contender for the Ferenc Puskas Award given to the best goal scored during the year.
Date: Monday, September 23
Time: 7:30 p.m. BST/2:30 p.m. ET
TV Info: Sky Sports Main Event
Live Stream: FIFA YouTube. FIFA Facebook. Sky Go.
Here’s a look at the nominees, per the FIFA official website:
The Best FIFA Men’s Player:
- Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal/Juventus
- Lionel Messi, Argentina/Barcelona
- Virgil van Dijk, Netherlands/Liverpool
The Best FIFA Women’s Player:
- Lucy Bronze, England/Olympique Lyonnais Feminin
- Alex Morgan, USA/Orlando Pride
- Megan Rapinoe, USA/Reign FC
The Best FIFA Men’s Coach:
- Pep Guardiola, Spain/Manchester City
- Jurgen Klopp, Germany/Liverpool
- Mauricio Pochettino, Argentina/Tottenham Hotspur
The Best FIFA Women’s Coach:
- Jill Ellis, USA national team
- Phil Neville, England national team
- Sarina Wiegman, Netherlands
The Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper:
- Alisson Becker, Brazil/Liverpool
- Ederson, Brazil/Manchester City
- Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Germany/Barcelona
The Best FIFA Women’s Goalkeeper
- Christiane Endler, Chile/Paris Saint-Germain
- Hedvig Lindahl, Sweden/Chelsea/VfL Wolfsburg
- Sari van Veenendaal, Netherlands/Arsenal/Atlético Madrid
FIFA Puskas Award:
- Lionel Messi (Argentina) – Real Betis v. FC Barcelona (La Liga, 17 March 2019)
- Juan Fernando Quintero (Colombia) – River Plate v. Racing Club (Superliga Argentina, 10 February 2019)
- Daniel Zsori (HUN) – Debrecen FC v Ferencvaros TC (Hungarian First Division, 16 February 2019)
Van Dijk Wins Men’s Player Award
There will be more than a few raised eyebrows if Van Dijk doesn’t add this gong to the UEFA Men’s Player of the Season award he picked up back in August.
Van Dijk merits all the hardware thanks to his exceptional performances for the Reds last season. He became the rock of a water-tight defence, quickly making the then-world record fee Liverpool paid to sign him from Southampton look like a bargain.
The Dutchman put silverware on the table to back his play, after lifting the UEFA Champions League trophy. As much as the trophies and performances have wowed fans, pundits, current and former players, Van Dijk has mastered the quality all players need to be called great, namely, consistency.
He has helped Liverpool open this season with six-straight wins and earn top spot in the Premier League: